Crimson Romance Writer’s Guidelines
Our digital-first romance line is open to submissions in five popular subgenres: romantic suspense, contemporary, paranormal, historical, and spicy romance. We’re looking for previously unpublished full-length novels (between 55,000 – 90,000 words) and short stories (see details below). All authors—agented or unagented, beginner or veteran writers—are welcome to submit any works that have not been previously published in whole or in part in any media, including self-publishing (Kindle, CreateSpace, etc.).
While your work can include other genre elements, Crimson Romances must focus first and foremost on a hero and heroine’s emotional journey together towards love. Romances, by nature, must be between consenting adults and have a happily-ever-after or at least happy-for-now ending. We will not look at manuscripts for memoirs or other non-fiction, women’s fiction or chick lit, young adult, mysteries and thrillers, horror, or general fiction.
Got a romance that’s a little offbeat, something other publishers won’t take a chance on? Send it our way! At Crimson, we believe variety is the spice of life — especially a reader’s life. We’re happy to consider a wide variety of plot lines and characters, but we’re always looking for:
- Smart, savvy, confident heroines with strong goals
- Heroes of all varieties — alpha, beta, anything in between!
- New twists on favorite themes
And most importantly, we’re seeking authors with fresh, vibrant, unique voices. We want to know (tell us in the query letter) what makes your book distinctive from every other romance being published.
As an ebook publisher, we want to partner with writers who have a strong online presence and possess a savvy interest in marketing and promoting their work to the digital community.
For more specific submission calls, please see more details below.
If you have a finished novel you’d like for us to consider, please send it along with query letter and detailed three- to five-page synopsis to editor Tara Gelsomino at email@example.com.
Short Story Romance Submissions
We’re currently seeking submissions for short story romances (between 10,000 to 20,000 words) for collections on the following themes:
Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa 2014 (submission deadline August 15, 2014)
New Year’s Eve 2015 (submission deadline August 15, 2014)
Valentine’s Day 2015 (submission deadline October 15, 2014)
All heat levels will be considered, but we especially seek sensual stories.
Have an idea for a collection not listed here? Drop us a line and we’ll consider it.
Please submit your full story to firstname.lastname@example.org
Specific Submission Calls
Here are qualities and tropes we’re looking for at the moment:
- Gender role reversals or defiance of gender role stereotypes ( i.e. biker heroine, preschool teacher hero)
- Smart humor (especially great romantic banter)
- Friends-to-lovers romances
- Asian heroes and heroines
- Bad girl – Good boy couples
- Superhero or comic book-related romances
- Light paranormals or magical realism
- 30-something or 40-something heroes and heroines
- Characters who craft (knitting, sewing, scrapbooking, etc.)
- Performing arts settings (Hollywood, Broadway, ballet, opera, orchestra, etc.)
- Futuristic or post-apocalyptic romances grounded in realism (think Battlestar Galactica)
- High heat/super sensual romances
- Characters who don’t want children
- Feminist heroines or heroes
- Series romances (trilogies or more with a different couple at the center of each book — usually connected by family, coworkers, community)